Hull library transformation now complete
The £28m transformation of the University of Hull's Brynmor Jones Library has now been completed, providing a welcoming learning space for students.
14 Dec 2015
Image: Sheppard Robson
The project, led by architects Sheppard Robson, involved the complete refurbishment of the library’s two buildings – the 1956 original Art Deco building, and the eight-storey plus basement Brutalist building that was added in the 1960s – with a newly formed central atrium space improving the connectivity between the two.
“The brief was to create a library for the 21st Century and move forward the agenda for university libraries, which had been through a period of rapid change over the last decade. This open brief was supplemented by a rigorous audit of the university’s requirements: this looked at the challenges of the existing space and how it impeded interaction between students and staff as well as how insensitive alterations to the fabric of the building hindered the previous way-finding strategy.
“The brief quickly expanded to include ways of merging traditional library services with spaces for interactive and informal learning.”
Full news release, project information and images via the link on the right.