- Library and community hub for South Tyneside
- South Tyneside's Hebburn Central will host a new library with state-of-the-art technology, a stock of 15,000 books, digitised materials and gaming areas.
- 19 Mar 2015
Libraries feature in RIBA awards
Libraries feature among the Royal Institute of British Architects 2016 national design awards.
02 Aug 2016
Hebburn Central. Photo: FaulknerBrowns
Five library projects are among the 46 buildings featured in the awards. The RIBA National Awards are given to buildings across the UK recognised as significant contributions to architecture.
Four are academic libraries, while the fifth is a public library - Hebburn Central, South Tyneside. Of Hebburn, RIBA says: 'The jury was impressed with such an envisioned client. That coupled with the abilities of the architects has resulted in a project that is exemplary in its boldness, use of unconventional materials and has created a new identity for the area. There is no doubt Hebburn Central will enrich the lives of the community and boost confidence to continue with the wider regeneration project.'
The four award-winning university libraries are Essex University's Albert Sloman Library and Silberrad Student Centre; the Laidlaw Library at the University of Leeds; the Investcorp Building at the Middle East Centre, St Antony's College, Oxford; and the Bodleian's Weston Library.
Links to the individual building awards are on the right. Below are some of the stories previously featured by Designing Libraries.
- Hebburn Central a success
- A year on from its opening, Hebburn Central has proved itself an asset to the local community, with library issues and visits soaring.
- 16 Jun 2016
- New library wing for Essex University
- Two new buildings at Essex University have been completed: a new wing to the Albert Sloman Library and the Silberrad Student Centre.
- 08 Feb 2016
- Leeds Laidlaw Library opens
- Chancellor Melvyn Bragg opens the £26m University of Leeds library, a 'stimulating and flexible space' for its 31,000 students.
- 13 Jul 2015
- Steel-clad library for Oxford college
- Zaha Hadid Architects has completed a new £11 million building for the Middle East Centre at St Antony's College, Oxford.
- 01 Jun 2015
- Bodleian's Weston Library opens
- Oxford's Bodleian opens to the public following an £80m transformation of the Weston Library where scholarship, research, conservation and digitisation meet.
- 21 Mar 2015