- Training rooms in libraries
- Refurbishment for the University of Salford library
- A collective living room
- The Connect Experience
- Wandsworth's libraries - bigger and better
- Shelving and storage at University of Birmingham
- Designing libraries in the 21st century
- Heritage preserved in Dartford Library
- Library and campus for Malawi
- Winning designs for Shanghai's city library
- The Hive and Heritage Quay are winning libraries
- Inside the Design Library
- Libraries are the new tourist attractions
- A wider choice for self-service and book-sorting solutions
- Designing the Dubai British School
- Under one (or another) umbrella
- A modernist refurbishment
- The Word - design thinking for our time
- A green branch for Toronto Public Library
- A design-led study hub for Magdalen
- University of Birmingham's £44 million new library
- Transforming the Bodleian's Weston Library
- The Curve opens in Slough
- The future of library services
- Library and gallery for Haverfordwest
- A library for social connection and creative discovery
- Wandsworth's libraries after outsourcing
- Libraries feature in RIBA awards
- University of Glasgow library refurbishment complete
- Unique infill project for the National Library of Wales
- An integrated portfolio of products
- The microlibrary made from ice cream buckets
- Crewe's £15m Lifestyle Centre creates waves
- Reshaping the future library
- Consultants appointed to design County Library
- An eye for China
- Next phase for Reading underway
- Modernisation at Ebbw Vale Library
- Hebburn Central a success
- An innovative library space for kids
- 2016 News Archive
- 2015 News Archive
- 2014 News Archive
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
The Hive and Heritage Quay are winning libraries
Both libraries are winners in their categories of the SCONUL Library Design Awards for 2016.
3 December 2016
The SCONUL Library Design Awards took place on 1 December at the Museum of London. The awards have been made every three years since 1973 and recognise the best in the design of higher education libraries.
The Hive received the Award in the category of libraries over 2,000 square metres. Since it was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 2012, The Hive has proven itself to be a fantastic resource for the University and the wider community. An exceptional £60 million facility, the Hive has issued more than 2 million books and dramatically increased the learning resources, technology, study and social spaces available to University of Worcester students.
With over a quarter of a million books and 12 miles of archive collections, The Hive is no ordinary library. It has a busy events programme, with regular public lectures, exhibitions and performances.
As a public as well as university facility, The Hive has achieved its vision to inspire the people of the region to read for enjoyment and for education. Since it opened, book borrowing and library visitor numbers have soared, with an increase of over 200% in the number of books issued, and a 100% plus increase in visits compared to the previous public Worcester Library.
Heritage Quay, University of Huddersfield
The Heritage Quay received the Award in the category of libraries under 2,000 square metres. Heritage Quay is the official archive for the University of Huddersfield, acting as the guardian of the archives of other organisations, families and individuals dating back over 200 years.
Its 21st-century role is to collect and secure the future of archives, both digital and physical, to preserve them for generations to come, making them as accessible and available as possible.
During 2012-2017 £2m funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund alongside funding from the University of Huddersfield has been invested in transforming the archives. New accommodation for customers and for archives has been built in Heritage Quay.
The presentations by the award winners and shortlisted libraries can be viewed on the SCONUL web page (link on the right).
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries