- Culture centre for Conwy
- Training rooms in libraries
- Refurbishment for the University of Salford library
- A collective living room
- The Connect Experience
- Wandsworth's libraries - bigger and better
- Shelving and storage at University of Birmingham
- Designing libraries in the 21st century
- Heritage preserved in Dartford Library
- Library and campus for Malawi
- Winning designs for Shanghai's city library
- The Hive and Heritage Quay are winning libraries
- Inside the Design Library
- Libraries are the new tourist attractions
- A wider choice for self-service and book-sorting solutions
- Designing the Dubai British School
- Under one (or another) umbrella
- A modernist refurbishment
- The Word - design thinking for our time
- A green branch for Toronto Public Library
- A design-led study hub for Magdalen
- University of Birmingham's £44 million new library
- Transforming the Bodleian's Weston Library
- The Curve opens in Slough
- The future of library services
- Library and gallery for Haverfordwest
- A library for social connection and creative discovery
- Wandsworth's libraries after outsourcing
- Libraries feature in RIBA awards
- University of Glasgow library refurbishment complete
- Unique infill project for the National Library of Wales
- An integrated portfolio of products
- The microlibrary made from ice cream buckets
- Crewe's £15m Lifestyle Centre creates waves
- Reshaping the future library
- Consultants appointed to design County Library
- An eye for China
- Next phase for Reading underway
- Modernisation at Ebbw Vale Library
- Hebburn Central a success
- An innovative library space for kids
2016 News Archive
- What will a library be tomorrow?
- Living in a material world
- IFLA Green Library Award winner announced
- SCONUL Design Awards shortlist announced
- School library design can improve education
- Arcadia gets the 'Manchester Look'
- SLA Inspiration Award
- Library building awards
- Lancaster's new shelving
- Visualising library enquiries
- £2.3m for Welsh libraries
- Architect Zaha Hadid dies
- Science Museum opens new Research Centre and Library
- New library for Holborn
- Integrated library, theatre and cinema for Chester
- A tale of two Sydneys
- Restoring the world's oldest library
- Idea Stores - still thriving
- Lancaster University Library remodelled
- IFLA Green Library Award 2016
- Dubai to build book-shaped library
- New library wing for Essex University
- Spring opening for Bicester's new library
- Storing a fine art collection
- The Core, Solihull - opening soon!
- David Cameron opens school library
- Study pods create flexible learning spaces
- 2015 News Archive
- 2014 News Archive
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
A tale of two Sydneys
Coincidentally, plans have been revealed for the new civic centre and library in Sydney, Australia and options for the library in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
18 March 2016
The building in Sydney's Darling Harbour has been designed by Japanese architect Kengo Kuma, a wood-clad cylindrical concept that will house the civic centre, a library, childcare centre, market hall and rooftop bar and restaurant.
It will also host a 'makerspace' to support innovation, creativity and technology startups.
The plan is part of a larger redevelopment that is expected to create housing for 4,200 residents, 2,500 jobs, and attract visitors to the area. An eight-metre-wide lane will improve pedestrian links between Darling Square and the city's Chinatown.
For more information and images follow the link to Dezeen Magazine opposite.
New library complex for Sydney, Nova Scotia
An updated report commissioned by the Cape Breton Regional Municipality shows three options:
- A stand-alone building on the waterfront.
- A shared space in a new province-owned facility on the waterfront, which could also house the Marconi campus of the Nova Scotia Community College.
- Repurposing the abandoned Target store in the former Sydney Shopping Centre.
A decision is not expected until the end of 2017.
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries