About Designing Libraries
Designing Libraries is a freely accessible resource for everyone interested in design and innovation in libraries.
The buildings database provides a permanent record of library building, refurbishment, improvement and extension projects in the UK and Ireland.
Designing Libraries is a gateway to the world of libraries and a source of information on all aspects of the design and use of library spaces, including virtual as well as physical spaces, with examples of practice from around the world.
Designing Libraries also acts as a guide to products and services, innovation and development in the industries that partner with libraries in the areas of design, technology, content and consultancy.
- A collaborative resource
- The success of Designing Libraries depends on the contributions of its community of users.
- History and purpose
- Designing Libraries was established in 2004 with funding from the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council (MLA) as part of its Framework for the Future programme.
- People at Designing Libraries
- Designing Libraries is managed by an Executive Board and an Advisory Board representing its stakeholders.
- Policy framework
- Designing Libraries is a not-for-profit organisation providing a database and an online resource of information of benefit to the library community.
- Partners and sponsors
- Designing Libraries acknowledges the invaluable support given by its stakeholder organisations and its sponsors.
"Designing Libraries is the essential resource for anyone looking for information or examples of good practice when undertaking refurbishment, new build or transformational projects."
Chair, Designing Libraries Advisory Board