- Consultants appointed to design County Library
- An eye for China
- Next phase for Reading underway
- Modernisation at Ebbw Vale Library
- Hebburn Central a success
- An innovative library space for kids
- What will a library be tomorrow?
- Living in a material world
- IFLA Green Library Award winner announced
- SCONUL Design Awards shortlist announced
- School library design can improve education
- Arcadia gets the 'Manchester Look'
- SLA Inspiration Award
- Library building awards
- Lancaster's new shelving
- Visualising library enquiries
- £2.3m for Welsh libraries
- Architect Zaha Hadid dies
- 2016 News Archive
- 2015 News Archive
2014 News Archive
- Students at the heart of new library
- Libraries out of a box
- The new libraries of Europe
- Black shelving for 'raw' University of Greenwich library
- Funky, bright and imaginative
- Refurbishment for Abingdon Campus
- Designing the National Library of Israel
- Self-service hits the streets of Portsmouth
- New mobile and static shelving for Institute library
- Modernism prize for restored Alvar Aalto library
- Inspiring the school library
- Fresh layout for Lincoln College
- Child's play at the Pinch
- Library and media centre for South Shields
- Libraries are always in the news
- A library of things
- Peters in the Caribbean
- Inside Calgary's new Central Library
- Public Library of the Year Award
- Why didn't anyone tell me?
- Library futures and trends
- The rise of the bookless library
- Designing a library for changing needs
- Building of Cambridge University Library in pictures
- New home for Black Cultural Archives
- Regeneration project for Lancaster University Library
- 20 years of innovation in library design
- 20,000 metres of shelving for new library
- Primary school library design for beginners
- Libraries at a tipping point
- The new learning commons
- Library design - what do you think?
- Wayfinding in Vancouver
- Be Inspired! SLA Inspiration Award shortlist announced
- The sustainable library
- What does it mean to build a library in Iraq?
- Two tier high capacity mobile shelving
- School library is a star
- Next generation learning commons
- Redesigned Exeter Central Library opens
- Borrow a robot
- A vision for the University of Birmingham
- New framework for Welsh Public Library Standards
- Lenny Henry opens Dudley's new archives
- The state of America's libraries
- Eye-popping library for Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Further funding for Welsh libraries
- Hunt Library wins top design award
- Glass end-panel shelving for medical library
- Manchester Central Library reopens
- So much has changed in libraries...
- Shipping container solution for library
- The Murray Library refurbishment
- New East Ham library opens
- Inspired library design
- Library and bookshop combined in Mexico City
- Design and build contract for Luton campus library
- New £12m Marylebone library approved
- Static and mobile shelving for Brynmor Jones Library
- Tender issued for Welsh LMS
- Library and Heritage Centre will be a landmark
- Open all hours
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
The sustainable library
A new award-winning public library building in Melbourne's Docklands sets a new standard for sustainable building with a wealth of 'green' features.
5 June 2014
Located on the waterfront of the Victoria Harbour, ‘Library at The Dock’, a new library and community centre by Clare Design and Hayball, is Australia's first public building to be made from cross laminated timber (CLT).
The report in the online journal Architecture & Design says: "CLT is manufactured using layers of timber to create solid panels, and is 30 per cent lighter than traditional structures. This has significantly reduced the requirement for new foundations, and allowed for construction of the library right on the waterfront.
"Apart from benefitting site and construction conditions and reducing the building’s overall carbon footprint, CLT offers better thermal performance and requires less energy to heat and cool than other materials."
The library has many other sustainability features: water recycling, solar panels, an artificial turf winter garden, operable roof and facade. The promenade decking is made from reclaimed timber from the Victoria Harbour south wharf.
"As well as digital and traditional library collections, the three storey library and community centre offers a recording studio, editing suites, and a gallery and exhibition space that recognises Docklands’ heritage."
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries