- Libraries out of a box
- The new libraries of Europe
- Black shelving for 'raw' University of Greenwich library
- Funky, bright and imaginative.
- Refurbishment for Abingdon Campus
- Designing the National Library of Israel
- Self-service hits the streets of Portsmouth
- New mobile and static shelving for Institute library
- Modernism prize for restored Alvar Aalto library
- Inspiring the school library
- Fresh layout for Lincoln College
- Child's play at the Pinch
- Library and media centre for South Shields
- Libraries are always in the news
- A library of things
- Peters in the Caribbean
- Inside Calgary's new Central Library
- Public Library of the Year Award
- Why didn't anyone tell me?
- Library futures and trends
- The rise of the bookless library
- Designing a library for changing needs
- Building of Cambridge University Library in pictures
- New home for Black Cultural Archives
- Regeneration project for Lancaster University Library
- 20 years of innovation in library design
- 20,000 metres of shelving for new library
- Primary school library design for beginners
- Libraries at a tipping point
- The new learning commons
- Library design - what do you think?
- Wayfinding in Vancouver
- Be Inspired! SLA Inspiration Award shortlist announced
- The sustainable library
- What does it mean to build a library in Iraq?
- Two tier high capacity mobile shelving
- School library is a star
- Next generation learning commons
- Redesigned Exeter Central Library opens
- Borrow a robot
- A vision for the University of Birmingham
- New framework for Welsh Public Library Standards
- Library Interior Design Awards 2014
- Lenny Henry opens Dudley's new archives
- The state of America's libraries
- Eye-popping library for Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Further funding for Welsh libraries
- 2014 News Archive
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
Redesigned Exeter Central Library opens
Exeter Central Library has reopened following an 18 month, £4m refit.
22 May 2014
The scheme was part-funded from the sale of Exeter Airport. The new library has added thousands of new books, and now has an extended foyer, a cafe and a larger children's library.
The library is now much lighter and airier. What the library has aimed to achieve, says Matt Stone, project manager for the library service, is 'a fusion of the original 1960s with the modern.'
One of the most interesting innovations is the introduction of a 'Fab Lab', as well as a new Business and Information Hub to support local businesses. The 'Fab Lab' is believed to be the first of its kind in a UK public library, though a growing feature of libraries in the US and other countries. The Fab Lab, or fabrication laboratory, is a digital workshop equipped with laser-cutters, 3D printers and scanners, 3D milling machines, electronics bench and programming and design tools, where users can “make almost anything”.
The library also features a 'book sculpture' by a certain Will Shakespeare, a West Country craftsman.
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries