- The Word - design thinking for our time
- A green branch for Toronto Public Library
- A design-led study hub for Magdalen
- University of Birmingham's £44 million new library
- Transforming the Bodleian's Weston Library
- The Curve opens in Slough
- The future of library services
- Library and gallery for Haverfordwest
- A library for social connection and creative discovery
- Wandsworth's libraries after outsourcing
- Libraries feature in RIBA awards
- University of Glasgow library refurbishment complete
- Unique infill project for the National Library of Wales
- An integrated portfolio of products
- The microlibrary made from ice cream buckets
- Crewe's £15m Lifestyle Centre creates waves
- Reshaping the future library
- Consultants appointed to design County Library
- An eye for China
- Next phase for Reading underway
- Modernisation at Ebbw Vale Library
- Hebburn Central a success
- An innovative library space for kids
- 2016 News Archive
- 2015 News Archive
2014 News Archive
- Students at the heart of new library
- Libraries out of a box
- The new libraries of Europe
- Black shelving for 'raw' University of Greenwich library
- Funky, bright and imaginative
- Refurbishment for Abingdon Campus
- Designing the National Library of Israel
- Self-service hits the streets of Portsmouth
- New mobile and static shelving for Institute library
- Modernism prize for restored Alvar Aalto library
- Inspiring the school library
- Fresh layout for Lincoln College
- Child's play at the Pinch
- Library and media centre for South Shields
- Libraries are always in the news
- A library of things
- Peters in the Caribbean
- Inside Calgary's new Central Library
- Public Library of the Year Award
- Why didn't anyone tell me?
- Library futures and trends
- The rise of the bookless library
- Designing a library for changing needs
- Building of Cambridge University Library in pictures
- New home for Black Cultural Archives
- Regeneration project for Lancaster University Library
- 20 years of innovation in library design
- 20,000 metres of shelving for new library
- Primary school library design for beginners
- Libraries at a tipping point
- The new learning commons
- Library design - what do you think?
- Wayfinding in Vancouver
- Be Inspired! SLA Inspiration Award shortlist announced
- The sustainable library
- What does it mean to build a library in Iraq?
- Two tier high capacity mobile shelving
- School library is a star
- Next generation learning commons
- Redesigned Exeter Central Library opens
- Borrow a robot
- A vision for the University of Birmingham
- New framework for Welsh Public Library Standards
- Lenny Henry opens Dudley's new archives
- The state of America's libraries
- Eye-popping library for Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Further funding for Welsh libraries
- Hunt Library wins top design award
- Glass end-panel shelving for medical library
- Manchester Central Library reopens
- So much has changed in libraries...
- Shipping container solution for library
- The Murray Library refurbishment
- New East Ham library opens
- Inspired library design
- Library and bookshop combined in Mexico City
- Design and build contract for Luton campus library
- New £12m Marylebone library approved
- Static and mobile shelving for Brynmor Jones Library
- Tender issued for Welsh LMS
- Library and Heritage Centre will be a landmark
- Open all hours
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
Manchester Central Library reopens after £48m redevelopment
Eighty years after it first opened, the landmark building blends old and new as heritage meets the digital age.
24 March 2014
Transforming space, transforming lives
The transformed Central Library, the second largest public library in the UK, aims to be a major cultural destination and attract two million visitors a year.
The library is host to a new Media Lounge, equipped with Apple Mac computers with creative software for would-be filmmakers, designers and gamers. Central Library offers superfast broadband throughout and has almost 200 computers for public use.
The Archives+ Centre brings together the City's archives under one roof. It includes the North West’s first BFI Mediatheque where visitors can enjoy film and TV for free, including a special collection devoted to Manchester and the region on film.
The Children's Library, is a 'Secret Garden' waiting to be discovered. Themed on the classic book by local author Frances Hodgson Burnett, it has been transformed to create an exciting hive of activity for children to enjoy. Digital interactive screens and interactive floor projections are some of the new technologies being used to entice a younger audience into the library.
The Business Library is one of only six Business and Intellectual Property Centres in England, and a place where would-be inventors and entrepreneurs can access a wealth of information and one-to-one support from business advisers and patent attorneys.
City Library, a new lending library on the lower ground floor providing an extra 2,000 sq metres of library space.
Manchester's interactive archive
Archive+ will change the way people use and intepret their local heritage. Interactive terminals have been incorporated to broaden the appeal of accessing local and family history in a participatory and interactive way.
There's a ghostly guided tour with the library's first library manager, and basement level exhibition space.
You can see more information about the design and consultancy undertaken by Mather & Co for Archive+ via the Design Week link on the right.
The art of storing and moving
While work was going on above ground, the task of storing and looking after the library's vast collection of books, manuscripts and archives, many in deep store in Cheshire's salt mines, was in the hands of library and archive relocation specialists.
The enormous task of sequentially packing, moving, storing and relocating Manchester's collection of over one million books was undertaken by Harrow Green, who have produced a case study of the move process. The case study can be accessed via the link on the right.
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries