- Inspiring the school library
- Fresh layout for Lincoln College
- Child's play at the Pinch
- Library and media centre for South Shields
- Libraries are always in the news
- A library of things
- Peters in the Caribbean
- Inside Calgary's new Central Library
- Public Library of the Year Award
- Why didn't anyone tell me?
- Library futures and trends
- The rise of the bookless library
- Designing a library for changing needs
- Building of Cambridge University Library in pictures
- New home for Black Cultural Archives
- Regeneration project for Lancaster University Library
- 20 years of innovation in library design
- 20,000 metres of shelving for new library
- Primary school library design for beginners
- Libraries at a tipping point
- The new learning commons
- Library design - what do you think?
- Wayfinding in Vancouver
- Be Inspired! SLA Inspiration Award shortlist announced
- The sustainable library
- What does it mean to be building a library in Iraq?
- Two tier high capacity mobile shelving
- School library is a star
- Next generation learning commons
- Redesigned Exeter Central Library opens
- Borrow a robot
- A vision for the University of Birmingham
- New framework for Welsh Public Library Standards
- Library Interior Design Awards 2014
- Lenny Henry opens Dudley's new archives
- The state of America's libraries
- Eye-popping library for Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Further funding for Welsh libraries
2014 News Archive
- Hunt Library wins top design award
- Glass end-panel shelving for medical library
- Manchester Central Library reopens
- So much has changed in libraries...
- Shipping container solution for library
- The Murray Library refurbishment
- New East Ham library opens
- Inspired library design
- Library and bookshop combined in Mexico City
- Design and build contract for Luton campus library
- New £12m Marylebone library approved
- Static and mobile shelving for Brynmor Jones Library
- Tender issued for Welsh LMS
- Library and Heritage Centre will be a landmark
- Open all hours
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
So much has changed in libraries...
A major renovation of America's oldest urban public library has prompted the New York Times to examine how libraries are changing - and thriving!
20 March 2014
The Boston Public Library, founded in 1848, is breaking out of its granite shell, reports the Times, to become a more open and welcoming space, with a retail area, new teens section and a high-stool bar for laptop users.
Libraries are changing across the country, with increases in both physical and virtual visits, some of that down to the recession and the availability of new technology, but a lot as the result of libraries re-imagining themselves as creative spaces.
More open spaces, room for collaborative working, the introduction of 'maker spaces' and innovations such as lending out plots of land to learn organic growing techniques, are all part of a mix that is changing the shape, role and impact of libraries in their communities.
Wizard, genius, explorer
Librarian Pam Sandlian Smith talks at TEDx about the new role of the librarian as wizard, genius and explorer in this changing environment for community-based knowledge creation.
'Libraries are places where you can create and collaborate. We have tools to share, like a 3D printer. You can learn how to do digital photography, or you can make a video in our studio. Libraries are about learning, but also about how people can learn from each other.' And planting and working together on urban gardens is just one of the many striking developments she explores.
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries