- Public Library of the Year Award
- Why didn't anyone tell me?
- Library futures and trends
- The rise of the bookless library
- Designing a library for changing needs
- Building of Cambridge University Library in pictures
- New home for Black Cultural Archives
- Regeneration project for Lancaster University Library
- 20 years of innovation in library design
- 20,000 metres of shelving for new library
- Primary school library design for beginners
- Libraries at a tipping point
- The new learning commons
- Library design - what do you think?
- Wayfinding in Vancouver
- Be Inspired! SLA Inspiration Award shortlist announced
- The sustainable library
- What does it mean to be building a library in Iraq?
- Two tier high capacity mobile shelving
- School library is a star
- Next generation learning commons
- Redesigned Exeter Central Library opens
- Borrow a robot
- A vision for the University of Birmingham
- New framework for Welsh Public Library Standards
- Library Interior Design Awards 2014
- Lenny Henry opens Dudley's new archives
- The state of America's libraries
- Eye-popping library for Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Further funding for Welsh libraries
- Hunt Library wins top design award
- Glass end-panel shelving for medical library
- Manchester Central Library reopens
- So much has changed in libraries...
- Shipping container solution for library
- The Murray Library refurbishment
- New East Ham library opens
- Inspired library design
- Library and bookshop combined in Mexico City
- Design and build contract for Luton campus library
- New £12m Marylebone library approved
- Static and mobile shelving for Brynmor Jones Library
- Tender issued for Welsh LMS
- Library and Heritage Centre will be a landmark
- Open all hours
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
Shipping container solution for library
Southwark Council is planning to open a library housed in recycled shipping containers following the fire that closed Newington library.
The council plans to spend £1.2m on the temporary library that is expected to stay in place for up to five years.
The closure of Newington library following a devastating fire in the adjacent town hall has been putting pressure on other libraries in the borough, and there is a growing demand from students for quiet study space and access to IT.
A container library in the UK is unusual, but there is a precedent elsewhere. In the past Designing Libraries has reported on an innovative development in Indonesia that could set a new direction for permanent as well as temporary libraries for designers (and councils) with bold imagination. Click on the link below.
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries