- Library futures and trends
- The rise of the bookless library
- Designing a library for changing needs
- Building of Cambridge University Library in pictures
- New home for Black Cultural Archives
- Regeneration project for Lancaster University Library
- 20 years of innovation in library design
- 20,000 metres of shelving for new library
- Primary school library design for beginners
- Libraries at a tipping point
- The new learning commons
- Library design - what do you think?
- Wayfinding in Vancouver
- Be Inspired! SLA Inspiration Award shortlist announced
- The sustainable library
- What does it mean to be building a library in Iraq?
- Two tier high capacity mobile shelving
- School library is a star
- Next generation learning commons
- Redesigned Exeter Central Library opens
- Borrow a robot
- A vision for the University of Birmingham
- New framework for Welsh Public Library Standards
- Library Interior Design Awards 2014
- Lenny Henry opens Dudley's new archives
- The state of America's libraries
- Eye-popping library for Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Further funding for Welsh libraries
- Hunt Library wins top design award
- Glass end-panel shelving for medical library
- Manchester Central Library reopens
- So much has changed in libraries...
- Shipping container solution for library
- The Murray Library refurbishment
- New East Ham library opens
- Inspired library design
- Library and bookshop combined in Mexico City
- Design and build contract for Luton campus library
- New £12m Marylebone library approved
- Static and mobile shelving for Brynmor Jones Library
- Tender issued for Welsh LMS
- Library and Heritage Centre will be a landmark
- Open all hours
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
Design and build contract for Luton campus library
The construction contract has been awarded to design and build the University of Bedfordshire's new £46m library building in Luton.
Spread over seven floors, the landmark building will have 7,400 sq metres of space, connecting to the rest of the University’s Luton campus via a bridge link.
The contract was awarded to Willmott Dixon. The University’s Vice Chancellor, Bill Rammell, said: “The fantastic new facility will further enhance student learning experience, offering the latest digital learning technologies, an expanded space for print resources and flexible study space for individual and group study, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week."
This latest development forms part of the University’s plans to invest some £90million at Luton campus over the next five years and follows new campus developments at Luton over recent years. These include the new £34m Campus Centre, a £20m Postgraduate and Continuing Professional Development Centre and the Fitzroy Court Student Village.
The library’s completion is expected in summer 2015.
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries