- Library futures and trends
- The rise of the bookless library
- Designing a library for changing needs
- Building of Cambridge University Library in pictures
- New home for Black Cultural Archives
- Regeneration project for Lancaster University Library
- 20 years of innovation in library design
- 20,000 metres of shelving for new library
- Primary school library design for beginners
- Libraries at a tipping point
- The new learning commons
- Library design - what do you think?
- Wayfinding in Vancouver
- Be Inspired! SLA Inspiration Award shortlist announced
- The sustainable library
- What does it mean to be building a library in Iraq?
- Two tier high capacity mobile shelving
- School library is a star
- Next generation learning commons
- Redesigned Exeter Central Library opens
- Borrow a robot
- A vision for the University of Birmingham
- New framework for Welsh Public Library Standards
- Library Interior Design Awards 2014
- Lenny Henry opens Dudley's new archives
- The state of America's libraries
- Eye-popping library for Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Further funding for Welsh libraries
- Hunt Library wins top design award
- Glass end-panel shelving for medical library
- Manchester Central Library reopens
- So much has changed in libraries...
- Shipping container solution for library
- The Murray Library refurbishment
- New East Ham library opens
- Inspired library design
- Library and bookshop combined in Mexico City
- Design and build contract for Luton campus library
- New £12m Marylebone library approved
- Static and mobile shelving for Brynmor Jones Library
- Tender issued for Welsh LMS
- Library and Heritage Centre will be a landmark
- Open all hours
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
Library and Heritage Centre will be a landmark
The dome-shaped Library and Heritage Centre for Geelong, southwest of Melbourne, may change for ever the traditional concept of a library.
Image: ARM Architecture
Construction has begun on the $45.5 million building, designed by ARM Architecture, will be a nine-storey facility providing access to information through print collections and the latest multi-media platforms.
The Geelong Library and Heritage Centre will stretch over more than 6,000 square metres and will include a children’s exploration and discovery zone, a heritage centre repository and reading room, a youth area and individual and group study spaces. There will also be a coffee shop, an exhibition space, a major event room, and community spaces for meetings and learning programmes.
Library visits are expected to quadruple to reach a million per annum, with the stunning library design creating a major visitor attraction.
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries