- Design winner announced for new city library in China
- A model programme for public libraries
- Building award for Liverpool Central Library
- Castleford new library to open
- Designed for quiet study
- New roles for libraries in Korea
- Integrating new and old in library design
- Graphic identity for Copenhagen children's library
- Awards for academic library design
- The university library of the future
- ALA ahead of the game
- Happy ending for award-winning college library
- Libraries as community hubs
- Transforming Ireland's libraries
- The Forum, Southend, opens
- Dublin library open for all
- Libraries - a formula for change
- Library extension for Oriel College, Oxford
- The new Library of Birmingham
- 2013 Library Design Showcase
- Refurbishment for Edinburgh Central Library
- Shaping the future of learning
- University of Kent, Templeman Library development
- The Royal College of Nursing's new library
- Creating the library of the future
- Cambridge University Library launches design competition
- The new Watney Market Idea Store
- University library buildings
- Creative Library, Community Library
- Birmingham - goodbye and hello!
- Baghdad's new public library
- Books and library furniture - all in one place
- Winning design for Helsinki announced
- Modernisation programme for Sunderland's libraries
- Southwark to build new library in Camberwell
- Students praise learning spaces at Wakefield College
- Plans unveiled for Halifax library
- Library Building Awards announced
- Evaluating library buildings
- New library for Bradford city centre
- Contemporary Library Architecture
- Coventry Central Library reopens
- New Liverpool Central Library opens
- Green building award for Bradford
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- 2011 News Archive
- 2010 News Archive
Creative Library, Community Library - a strategic framework
The State Library of Victoria has published its strategic framework and 2030 vision for public libraries, whose lead other services might do well to follow.
What is remarkable - and valuable - about this piece of work is not just in the final outcome and the road map for the future but the creative and participative process the led to it.
We are not lacking in ideas about the future of public libraries - in the UK or elsewhere. But where we fall down is in leading a process of involvement that will allow those plans to be sustained, adapted, funded and supported throughout their delivery over a long timescale.
Victoria offers an insiight into an exemplary process conducted, as the report says, 'beyond the confines of the library walls.' The workshop basis of the collaborative process gave rise to two strategic options in need of harmonisation: the concept of the Creative Library and the Community Library.
'Whether Victoria’s future has a creative or community focus – or a combination of both – this process has confirmed that our public libraries will continue to be a primary local source of information and 21st-century literacies and will have the flexibility and foresight to play an innovative and significant future role.'
The report is called 'Victorian Public Libraries 2030'. That carries an unintended but important resonance for everyone working towards a different concept of the public library in the 21st century.
- This page can be found in the following news feeds:
- Designing Libraries