The main south-facing wall is clad with photovoltaic cells to convert daylight into electricity, providing up to 50% of tbe building's lighting needs. Solar panels reduce the need for boilers to heat water. Rainwater harvesting provides flushing water for the toilets.
Extensive exploitation of natural light, with high-level, two-storey feature window looking towards Manchester City Centre.
BMS (Building Management System): fresh air supply, air temperature and electric lighting are controlled automatically in response to changes in external temperature and internal environment.
Escalator and passenger lift access to main public library.
Floor to ceiling glass reading bays
Thermal mass - exposed polished concrete absorbs heat into the structure.
Automatic entrance doors
Wide doorways and corridors for ease of travel through building.
Accessible toilets on all floors
Baby changing facilities adjacent to children's library.
First floor: a vibrant and busy public library
- spacious,exciting and flexible space for children
- Access Point: free access to City Council services via dedicated web-based interface and freephone.
- CDs, DVDs and Playstation games
- Teen area
- Dedicated teen and children's PCs
- self-issue terminal and online computer booking
Second Floor - a quieter space designed for learning
- Two community meeting rooms
- Homework Centre
- 38 public access computers
- Adapted computers for disabled and visually impaired people
- building shared with North Manchester Sixth Form College: special provision and materials for college students
Silver award, Best Public Building, Roses Design Awards 2006 , RIBA Learning and Skills Council Further Education Award 2006
Type of library
Walker Simpson Architects
Features and services
Audiovisual/Multimedia areas, Group study spaces, Meeting rooms
Nature of site, Shared building, Building shape, Materials, Landscaping
Design features, Structural
Access between floors, Access to building, Access within building, Assistive technology, Furniture height, Parking, Signage / guiding
Demco Interiors / Walker Simpson Architects
Services and facilities suppliers
General, Internet access, Number of public computer terminals: 53