These awards include:
- The 2010 Harleston Parker Medal for “Single Most Beautiful Building” built in Boston
- Metropolitan Area in Past 10 Years
- The 2010 Honor Award for Design Excellence from the BSA
- a 2010 Honor Award for Design Excellence from AIA New England
- a 2010 Award for Interior Design/Interior Architecture from the BSA
- a 2010 Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award
- a 2010 Integrated Design/Integrated Development Award (IDID) for Excellence in Sustainable Design from the New Hampshire AIA
- a 2010 AGC Aon Build America Award from the Associated General Contractors of America
- Special Recognition from the Cambridge Historical Commission’s Preservation Recognition Program
The Library has also achieved LEED Silver Certification and won ARCHITECT Magazine’s Design Review Award.
The library reopened in November 2009 followed redevelopment and includes a striking new glass building of 76,700 square feet joined to the restored 27,200 square foot landmark, designed in 1887 by Van Brunt & Howe and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The building has capacity for over 275,000 books, 90 computer stations, reservable meeting rooms and a 220-seat auditorium. The project includes an underground parking garage with a 33,000 square foot green roof and the restored Joan Lorentz Park. The new Library building was designed by William Rawn Associates, Architects, Inc. (Lead Architect) with Ann Beha Architects (Associate Architect/Historic Building Architect), both of Boston.